Anglican Cathedral
Previous Next
+ Comments Anglican Cathedral - 2005-10-15 09:00:00
Built from 1873 to 1880 on the side of the Old Slave Market, the Anglican Church of Christ was built under the guidance of Dr Edward Steer, Biship of Zanzibar from 1874 to 1882. The work on the church was built immediately after the the Great Slave Market finally closed down. The slave market was opened in 1811 and soon become the hub of the slave trade for the whole of East Africa and an integral part of Zanzibar's commercial success for most of the 19th century. At it's peak, over 60,000 slaves a year passed through the market. It's closing marked a significant moment in history: it was the last slave market in Africa.